Many Americans fail when it comes to controlling their weight. According to Statista, over 4 in 10 American adults are obese. A person may wonder what healthy body weight is and how to achieve and maintain it. Let us answer these questions for you.
Body Mass Index (BMI)
It isn’t very difficult to find out your ideal weight if you know about body mass index. Body mass index is the measure of your body fat that is based on your weight and height. You can use basic mathematics to calculate your BMI. Simply multiply 703 by your weight in pounds and then divide the square of your height in inches. Let us share a template for your clarity.
(Your weight in pounds) x 703 = Value A
(your height in inches) x 2 = Value B
Value A ÷ Value B = Total Value
If the total value is between 18.5 to 24.9, it’s considered a healthy weight. A value between 25.0 to 29.9 is considered overweight, and a value under 18.5 marks you as underweight.
Achieving A Healthy BMI
A person’s weight is determined by various factors, including hormones and genetics. However, obesity usually happens for a single reason that is excessive calory intake. To lose weight healthily, you would have to:
- Eat Right: Processed food, fast food, and carbonated drinks are very high in calories. You will have to stop consuming them and start eating healthy and fresh food.
- Move More: Cutting your calory intake is a good thing, but to achieve your ideal weight healthily, you will have to burn the built-up calories by daily exercise and adopting a healthier lifestyle.
Opt for Long-Term Changes
The idea of losing weight fast without changing your diet or lifestyle is certainly too good to be true. With the right diet and exercise, you can lose up to 2 pounds per week. Anything more than that can be alarming, unhealthy, and reversible for you. Go slow and steady to achieve your ideal weight for good.
- Consume more vegetables and fruits.
- Increase your protein and fiber intake
- Cut down on fat, sugar, and salt
It’s best to talk to your doctor about the number of calories you should consume daily to lose weight. Usually, it is 1500 daily calories for women and 1800 daily calories for men. If you are cutting down 500 to 1000 calories per day to achieve the above-mentioned number of calories, you will probably lose 1-2 pounds per week.
- Aim for a minimum of 150 minutes of brisk walk or other aerobic exercises per week. You may probably need even more than that, depending upon your situation
- Spend some doing muscle-strengthening exercises twice a week
- Prefer routine movements that burn calories throughout the day like taking stairs instead of the elevator, getting in from far entrances, walking or cycling to work, etc
Even after following all the listed things, you may find some difficulties in losing weight. Each person’s body type and metabolism are different. You may need a doctor to explain to you what will work for you. If you want some consultation for weight loss from a reliable doctor, you can get it online from GetCareMd. Along with online consultation for weight loss, we also provide other online healthcare services like medical consultation, doctor prescription, eye doctor consultation, virtual doctor appointment, pain relief consultation, and a lot more. View our services to know more about what we offer.